Wednesday, January 21, 2015

RE-PETE

I want to start off by saying that I am die hard Seahawks fan. I also want to preface that I am not a fair weather or bandwagon fan. My father took me to my first game in 1989, I was three years old. We sat in the nose-bleed section of the Kingdome and the Seahawks won. I have been a fan ever since. That being said, I am obviously used to disappointment and I cautiously optimistic about our next Super Bowl appearance. I want to be VERY clear when I say that I want nothing more than a re-Pete Super Bowl win.

Okay, now that I have gotten that out of the way, I need to say that I am tired of fans trying to underrate the Patriots. Yes, they cheated [again]. And sure, some of the meme’s are funny. The one of Marshawn Lynch grabbing his junk as he jumps into the end-zone with a caption “Can’t deflate these balls” is probably my favorite. But, people who say “Cheaters never win” or whatever are simply mistaken and refusing to acknowledge history.

The Patriots are an elite team and Tom Brady is one of the best quarterbacks of all time. This is not Super Bowl XLVIII. We are not playing a team who was mediocre after the Elway era, until Peyton Manning joined, bringing them to the Super Bowl. Tom Brady has been to the Super Bowl with the Patriots six times and won three. He has been NFL MVP twice (Elway is the only other quarterback to win the honor more than once) and was unanimously voted MVP in 2010 (the first time in history); he is the only quarterback to have an undefeated regular season since the 16 game regular schedule was introduced.

So, saying cheaters never win is cute, but simply not accurate. It ignores the fact that Brady and Belichick are great and one of the winning most pairs in NFL history. Saying the “Haven’t won anything since being caught cheating” is misleading at best and completely false at worst. They were caught cheating in 2007 and went to the Super Bowl in 2008 and 2012. Sure, they didn’t get more rings or a really pretty trophy, but they obviously won their division both times (one of those times having an undefeated regular season).

I want the Seahawks to win more that I want almost anything, but I don’t want my fellow 12s to get it twisted. This game is not going to be a blowout like last year. This game is not going to be easy. This Super Bowl is going to test us. I am all about trash talk, but not at the sake of ignoring facts. The Patriots, Tom Brady, and Bill Belichick can eat a dick, but no one can say they are not a great team…even though they are big fat cheaters.


TL;DR Go Seahawks, but let’s not forget we are going up against an elite. I want to keep taking out elite teams and quarterbacks, but I am not as confident this go around as I was last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment