Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day Five: Something You Hope to do in Your Life


Day 05: Something I hope to do in my life.

It sounds silly and petty, but I want to get the fuck up out of Washington. I hate it here. Of course, it is beautiful. I am an equal distance from the desert and the ocean. In the same amount of time it would take me to get into the city, I can be in the woods.

Washington is great, I love it, but every day I fantasize about getting out. I have never thought I would only live here. As a young child I used to think about moving away from family, friends, everything I have ever known. Back then, it scared me. I looked forward to it, but I was afraid of the unknown. Now, I cannot think of many things I want more than something totally different. Sure, I am afraid of getting lost and not knowing my way around, being ignorant when people talk about different neighborhoods and towns, but none of that outweighs getting away from this coast.

Of course, I could leave any time I want. Forgetting that I am locked into a lease until the start of next year, I could up and move tomorrow. But, let’s be realistic. Moving is expensive. I would either have to sell all of my things or have a very pretty penny saved in order to afford to move and also be able to support myself while looking for a new job.

The great thing about working in the restaurant industry is that I will always have a job. Bars and restaurants are everywhere. I can move to any city in any state and work at whatever watering hole is willing to bring me on board. Regardless of economy bars succeed. As long as I stay in this industry, I will always be able to find work.

However, I cannot work in this industry and not cringe a little when I tell people what I do for a living. Not to mention, servers are a dime a dozen. And of course, I will probably never be paid to relocate while working in a bar. So, I think the most realistic option for me is to get my degree first.

Getting my degree first leads into its own set of problems. The older I get the more roots I set down. Leaving the industry can make it difficult to get back. Also, restaurants want people with current experience, not someone that has been working in an office for the last six months (or longer!). Not being transferred with an office can make finding a new job difficult for a plethora of reasons. With an unstable economy and job market, I worry about leaving my comforts too soon.

I have always wanted to just leave. Not tell anyone, to simply go, send a postcard when I get there. I still want to do this. I am pretty convinced I never will, but it is my not-so-secret pipe dream.

But, alas all of things that terrify me about leaving are the reasons I want to get out. I dislike the people here. The Seattle Freeze is too much for me. If you are not aware of the Seattle Freeze, it has nothing to do with weather and everything to do with the attitude of people in this area. Bing it. The predictability of the bars and restaurants is tiring. And honestly, why are there so many hipsters?!

I look forward to moving somewhere else. Somewhere no one knows me. I look forward to getting lost and exploring in a way that I cannot really explore out here. Making new friends and being around people that might have a similar outlook on life to me seems refreshing. Learning about the weather patterns are different climate zones of a new state sounds way better than trying to remember all the different convergent zones of the PNW. Living in a place where the buildings are not graded on their ability to withstand an earth quake sounds peaceful. Not worrying about an earth quake sounds awesome!

I understand that with every decision there are ups and downs. But none of the downs outweigh the good, to me.

I hope I am able to escape Washington. Like I said, I love this state, but I fucking hate it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment